There are a series of tests which are performed by a specially trained Respiratory Therapist that make up a complete pulmonary function test (PFT). The non-invasive tests that make up a full PFT include: spirometry, lung volume measurement and diffusion capacity measurement.
Why do I need to perform a PFT.
There are many different reasons why pulmonary function tests (PFTs) may be done. They are sometimes done in healthy people as part of a routine physical. The are also routinely done in certain types of work environments to ensure employee health. PFTs can detect causes of abnormal breathing symptoms, measure the effects of current medications, and/or diagnose certain types of lung disease such as:
- Long term COVID symptoms
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Occupational Lung Disease
- Chronic Cough
- Sleep Apnea
- Alpha 1-Antitrypsin
- Shortness of Breath
PFTs may also be used to check lung function prior to surgery. The are a valuable tool in patients who have lung or heart problems, who are smokers, or who have other acute/chronic health conditions. Another use of PFTs is to assess treatment for chronic lung conditions.
What to do to prepare for your PFT.
- Please arrive a few minutes early to check in for your appointment
- Please have your provincial health care card on hand
- Please bring an updated list of any prescribed medications
- If you HAVE had testing done with us before, continue taking your current medications as directed by your physician
- If you HAVE NOT had testing done with us before, please refrain from using your inhaled medications 24 hours prior to testing (if possible)
- Please Note: If you are having a follow up Spirometry or Pulmonary Function Test, and are seeing a Respirologist, please confirm if they would like this test completed with or without the use of your inhalers.
“I highly recommend this business for the wonderful, caring staff that work at Precision Lung Consultants & Diagnostics. The wonderful ladies there go out of their way to do the required testing with kindness and compassion. If my husband requires further lung function tests the ONLY place I will be bringing him will be Precision Lung Consultants & Diagnostics…they truly have compassionate angels working there.“